Saturday, September 10, 2016

Luke 22:24-30

Luke 22:24-30
And a love of contention also became in them, regarding which one of them presumes to be great.  And He said to them, “The kings of the nations exercise lordship over them and the ones who have power over them call them benefactors. But you all are not similar.  But the greatest in you all become as the youngest and the one who governs as the one who serves.  For who is the greatest, the one who reclines to eat or the one who serves?  Is it not the one who reclines to eat?  And I am in the middle of you all as the one who is being served.  And you all are the ones who have remained with me in my trials.  And I ratify a covenant to you all just as my Father ratified a covenant of a kingdom to me in order that you all should eat a drink upon my table in my kingdom.  And you all will be sitting upon thrones while judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Thoughts for Today


First Thought:

I think it is fascinating that this story occurs immediately after Jesus reveals that one of them I going to hand Him over to the authorities.  I can only imagine how it happened.  As they all refute the idea that they could be the one who will hand over Jesus, they begin to talk about how loyal they are.  They begin to compare loyalty.  Soon it turns into a debate about who is the greatest.  These short-sighted human beings called disciples find themselves losing focus because of their own ambition.  I can certainly say that I’ve been there, too!  How many times do I get focused on my greatness and why I deserve something that I completely miss what God is trying to say to me!

Are you ever guilty of missing God’s point because you are focused on yourself?  Why can human beings so self-centered?

Second Thought:

Jesus is quick to teach the disciples and correct them.  He blatantly tells them that they are acting like worldly Gentiles.  They want power.  They want glory.  They want to be noticed.  They want to be important.  Then Jesus lowers the boom.  He tells them that in order to be great in the kingdom of God you have to be a servant.  This is opposite of the thinking of the disciples.  Jesus is telling them that service is more important than glory.  However, Jesus is also preparing them for what is about to happen here.  Jesus is about to die for their sake.  Service and sacrifice is more important than power and prestige.

Do you care about power and prestige or service and sacrifice?  What makes service and sacrifice hard to care about from the perspective of the world?

Third Thought:

Jesus affirms the disciples after correcting them.  They have stuck with Him.  They have been through the trials.  Even though their perspective might have been incorrect, Jesus still affirms the disciples and their relationship with Him.

How important is affirmation to you?  Where do you get affirmation from God?


Passage for Tomorrow: Luke 22:31-34

No comments: