Monday, January 16, 2012

Acts 3:4-7

Acts 3:4-7
And after Peter gazes intently into him with John he said, "See into me."  And the one was reaching out to them while anticipating to take something from them.  And Peter said, “Silver and gold do not exist to me.  But what I do have, this I give to you.  In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, rise and walk around.”  And after taking hold of him – his right hand – he raised him up.  And immediately his feet and ankles were being strengthened.

Thoughts for Today:

First Thought:

The beggar is obedient.  It is important for those who are in the weaker position to be obedient to those who have the control, power, and especially authority.  The beggar obeys Peter when Peter says to look at him.  In the same way, it is important for children to obey their parents (assuming the parents are telling their children righteous things, of course).  It is important for us to obey God when He tells us something, too.

Do you think you are a particularly obedient person?  If so, why do you have an easy time obeying?  If not, what about obedience is difficult?

Second Thought:

Peter doesn’t miss out on an opportunity to introduce Jesus Christ to this beggar.  Peter didn’t come to the temple to meet this beggar, so Peter is clearly prepared even in spite of the spontaneous nature of this event.

Dow we always know when we will have an opportunity to present God to people?  Do you think we as human beings miss opportunities that God puts before us?

Third Thought:

Peter introduces Jesus Christ to this beggar in a pretty dramatic fashion.  It’s not often that we see someone who is lame just rise up and walk away.  This is why it is called a miracle.  By definition, a miracle is something that is beyond the control of mankind.

Do you think miracles make it easier or harder to explain Jesus Christ to people?  What might influence how easy or hard it is to talk about the miracle?


Passage for Tomorrow: Acts 3:8-10

2 comments:

Leandra said...

I personally think that as a human we all have obedience but we also have that side of rebellion. I suppose it matters according to if you are the weak person or the strong person; weak more likely to obey,the strong more likely to not obey.

PJ said...

I think you are spot on when you say we all have the dynamic for both inside of us. I know that personally there are some things I am obedient with (answering God's call with the blogs, for one thing). And there are some things that I simply am not obedient with (like, making sure the house gets cleaned every day...)

I'm not sure that weak and strong is always true, though. I think if we are talking about interaction with people - then you are spot on. The strong will usually dominate over the weak, forcing the weak to obey. But if we are dealing with ideas and concepts or self-motivation, I think the weak actually tends to lean towards disobedience. If I know the dishes need to be done, but I am weak inside and would rather watch TV and play on my computer, then my weakness leads to disobedience. But, I suppose you could say that my desire for TV/computer was stronger than for doing the dishes, so the case could be made for the strong winning out still.

Dunno. But great thoughts!