Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Philippians 4:4-7

Passage

Rejoice in the Lord always.  Again, I say, rejoice!  Let your graciousness be known to all people.  The Lord’s time is almost at hand.  Be anxious in nothing.  But in every prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known by God.  The peace of God which surpasses all understanding will keep watch in Christ Jesus over your hearts and your minds.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

This is an awesome section of verses.  Paul reminds us to rejoice.  Rejoice always, even!  So here we are with the invitation and challenge again.  Who can’t rejoice every moment of every day because God walks with you through life?  Yet, do I?  When the rubber meets the road, are there places in my life where rejoicing just isn’t happening?  Yeah.  There is challenge there.  I know I have so much to rejoice over.  I’m still alive in spite of having done some pretty stupid things in my past.  I have a great marriage.  I have a job that I love.  I am surrounded by spiritual people who love me.  God has been good in having His hand work through all of these things so that I can enjoy the benefit of His work.  I have much to rejoice over!

What in your life can you rejoice over?  How is God at work within you and the activities of your life?

Second Thought:

Paul tells the Philippians to let their graciousness be known.  They are to not be anxious.  They are to be in prayer – relationship with God.  In a nutshell, they are to be living out their faith in God.  Here is another point of challenge.  If I truly believe in God’s hand at work in my life, what reason do I have to be anxious about anything?  That’s kind of Jesus’ point in Matthew 6:25-34, actually.  Paul goes on to make another point.  If I truly am in relationship with God, how often do I talk to Him in prayer?  Paul knows that there is a difference between an academic understanding of God and living out one’s faith in God.  As h ends this letter, he encourages them to actually live it out.

Do you live out your faith in God?  How do you accomplish this task?  Do you think other people see you living out your faith?

Third Thought:

The peace of God will keep watch in Christ Jesus over your hearts and minds.  What an incredible testimony.  This is such a valuable verse.  It is difficult growing closer to God.  It is difficult growing apart from the world.  It is difficult hearing God’s voice in our lives and even more difficult to discern God’s voice from the world.  How do we know when we have discerned God correctly?  We will continue to be at peace with God.  God’s peace will watch over us.  Walking with God means walking through life under His peace.

How do you discern God’s word in your life?  Do you act upon what you discern?  What does it mean for you to have God’s peace keep watch over your heart and mind?


Passage for Tomorrow: Philippians 4:8-9

No comments: