Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Philippians 1:21

Passage

For me: to live is Christ; to die is gain.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

First things first.  This is a potent verse.  You know I think a verse is potent when I devote a whole blog post to a single verse.  This verse tells us about Paul’s context.  Paul is in prison.  But this isn’t just any normal prison.  This is a prison for which he is on trial for his life.  Depending on the result of his day in court, he could die.  For the record, Jesus faced this same situation.  Paul knows all of this.  Yet he is still working for the Gospel and writing letters of peace and love from prison.  How awesome is God to inspire people to behave like Paul!

Do you think there is any correlation to the seriousness of the imprisonment and ability for Paul to write a letter filled with such potent verses?  Why do difficult life circumstances tend to be the moments when the best of our faith is on display?

Second Thought:

To live is Christ.  Wow.  I am always floored by that declaration.  That is a statement about identity.  Who is Paul?  A man focused on living out Christ.  Whatever the situation.  Whatever the company.  Whatever the outcome.  To live … is Christ.  I am reminded of one of my favorite songs from the musical Les Misérables.  “Who am I?”  It is a song about Jean Valjean’s struggle with his own identity.  In this verse I believe Jean Valjean would find his answer.  In this verse I find my answer.  “Who am I?”  I am what Christ has called me to be.  I am what is necessary to proclaim Christ to the world.  Or, at least that’s the goal I imperfectly strive towards.

Who are you?  Do you believe “to live is Christ?”  How well do you live that out?

Third Thought:

To die is gain.  Wow.  A powerful statement followed up by an even more powerful statement.  To die means to complete one’s calling in this world and await the resurrection of the dead.  To die means to be released from the stress and pressure of being in this world but not of it.  To die means to await going and being one with the Creator.  As I am fond of saying, “Other than the process of dying, death really doesn’t have a down side for someone in Christ.”

Do you believe this to be true?  How hard is this to actually live out in practice?  Who do you know that lives this way and who can encourage you to live this way?


Passage for Tomorrow: Philippians 1:22-24

No comments: