Thursday, August 8, 2013

Philippians 1:22-24

Passage

If I am to continue living, it means fruitful labor for me.  What the outcome for me will be, though, I cannot tell.  I am torn between the two.  I desire to be done with this world and to be with Christ, for that is far better.  But for the sake of the spiritual people in my life, it is necessary for me to remain. 

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

Life is fruit.  For Paul, a day lived is a day that the seed of faith can be planted or nurtured.  A day lived isn’t a day spent accomplishing the agenda of his flesh.  A day lived is fruitful labor for the sake of God.

What makes this perspective hard to live out?  What can make this perspective easier to live out?  How good are you at looking at each day with a perspective of bearing fruit through planting and nurturing seeds of faith?

Second Thought:

Paul does not know what the outcome is going to be.  He doesn’t know whether he will live or die.  Yet, in spite of this uncertainty he is focusing on God’s work.  He is focusing on nurturing the faith of the Philippians through this letter.  It would be easy to try and draw other people into his situation.  But for Paul, this isn’t about getting other people to carry his burden.  Even this uncertainty is a time to help other people grow in the faith through his experience!

How can this help us see Paul as one of the consummate teachers of history?  How can this passage speak to you about the selfless nature of spiritual leadership? 

Third Thought:

This passage speaks into my soul.  There is a point in life when one has dealt enough with sin that I just want it over.  I just want to be with God.  I want to live in the perfection that He intended us to have when He created us.  There is a point when that is all I want.  Yet at the same time, I know that God has called me to do His will here.  He has a plan and an agenda for me.  That doesn’t mean that being with God wouldn’t still be better.  But it does mean I’ve got work to do here!  I feel for Paul as he writes this passage and I understand completely from where he is coming!

What makes it difficult to say that we just want to be with God?  What makes it difficult to say that being with God in heaven is better?  What can help us desire to be with God yet still be encouraged to work here on this earth as He calls?


Passage for Tomorrow: Philippians 1:25-26

No comments: