Monday, January 5, 2015

1 John 5:10-12

1 John 5:10-12
The one who believes into His Son has the testimony in himself.  The one who does not believe by God has made Him a liar because he has not believed into the testimony that God has testified regarding His Son.  And this is the testimony: that God gave eternal life to us, and this life is in His Son.  The one who has the Son has the life.  The one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

I’ve never really thought about the consequences of not believing God quite like John puts it hear in these verses.  I suppose it is because I have always believed.  But when we choose to say “I don’t believe in Christ” what we are actually doing is calling God a liar!  When a person says that they do not believe, they are telling God that what He has said and what He has done through Jesus Christ is all a lie.  Now, certainly we as human beings have the free will to do such a thing.  But I cannot imagine it.  I know that I am a sinner and that I am far from perfect.  But I also know and confess that my sin is wrong and it is I who have the problem, not God.  I cannot imagine effectively saying that it is not I who have the problem but God who has the problem!

Have you ever thought of it this way?  What are the implications for you in realizing that when we do not believe God we are calling God a liar?

Second Thought:

I love the Greek construction that John uses in verse 11.  Literally John says, “That eternal life gave to us God.”  John has intention moved the direct object of the verb to the front of the sentence and the subject of the sentence to the very end of the sentence.  The effect of this is to show us where the emphasis lies – and it certainly isn’t on us!  The primary emphasis is that God is the doer.  God is the giver.  We have eternal life because God gives, not because we do anything.  The secondary emphasis is on that which is given – eternal life.  God doesn’t just give peace, or love, or truth.  God gives eternal life.  God gives us the ability to live forever with Him.  That’s quite the gift!

Why is it important to remember that the primary focus of life – like this sentence – should be on God?  What does it mean to you that what God is ultimately offering to you is eternal life?

Third Thought:

The last verse of this section reminds us of Jesus’ own words.  “I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.”  See John 14:6.  The way to the Father is through Jesus Christ.  If you have Christ in you, you have a way to the Father.  If you do not have Christ in you, you do not have a way to the Father.  And what is the manner in which we know that we have Christ in us?  John has already answered that in 1 John 3:24.  Whoever keeps the commandments of God will have the Spirit of Christ in him.  We have Christ within us when we believe (thus receiving the Holy Spirit) and obey (our response to Christ work).

Do you live your life as though there is one way to the Father?  How is this demonstrated in your life?


Passage for Tomorrow: 1 John 5:13-15

No comments: