Wednesday, November 26, 2014

2 Corinthians 11:21b-29

2 Corinthians 11:21b-29
In that which someone should dare – I am still speaking in foolishness – I also dare.  They are Hebrews?  I am also.  They are Israelites?  I am also.  They are the seed of Abraham?  I am also.  They are servants of Christ?  I speak while being a madman: I am to a greater degree – surpassing in toil, surpassing in imprisonments, an extreme degree of beatings, many times almost ending in death.  Five times at the hands of the Jews I received forty lashes less one.  Three times I was being beaten with rods.  Once I was being stoned.  Three times I have been shipwrecked – a day and a night I spent in the open sea.  I am often journeying.  I am in danger by rivers.  I am in danger by robbers.  I am in danger out of my own kin.  I am in danger out of the Gentiles.  I am in danger in the cities.  I am in danger in the wilderness.  I am in danger at sea.  I am in danger by false brothers.  By hard work and by great exertion, often in sleeplessness, in famine and thirst, often times in going hungry, in coldness and in nakedness.  Apart from these other things, there is my daily burden – the burden for all the churches.  Who is weak?  Am I not weak?  Who is being scandalized and am I not being greatly distressed?

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

It is very humbling to read through Paul’s list of mistreatment in these chapters.  Occasionally I like to think that I have it rough.  The truth is, I’ve never been beaten within an inch of my life.  I’ve never once been imprisoned, much less stoned.  I’ve never been adrift at sea.  I could continue, but I think I’ve made my point.  It might be nice for me to think that I suffer for Christ, but the truth is that I really don’t.  Not that I’m not important to God, mind you.  It’s not like God loves us more the more we suffer for Him.  But it is humbling to read about what other people endure for the name of Jesus Christ.  It is humbling to realize how significant Jesus Christ was to Paul.  It is humbling to read about how important being a follower of Jesus Christ was to Paul.  Paul didn’t want to serve the God who would keep him safe and secure in his home and his job.  Paul wanted to serve the God who was using him out and about in the world.

Are you humbled by reading through this list that Paul puts forth?  If you are, why do you feel humbled?

Second Thought:

I also believe that this is the first time that I have ever considered the natural hazards that Paul puts on this list.  Sure, I’ve thought about the beatings Paul received at the hands of Jew and Gentile alike.  But back in Paul’s day, every river crossing was a threat.  Walking down a road was a threat.  Getting into a boat was a threat.  They didn’t have the luxury of automobiles, planes, and trains!  Even when I went to Honduras, Brazil, or Mexico City to do ministry I have benefitted by modern travel methods.  I’ve not had to worry about river crossings and bandits along the way.  I hate to say it, but I think one of my worst worries is whether or not all my luggage arrived safely with me.  How little that pales in comparison to what Paul experienced in his quest for ministry!  How many times do I cross a river on a man-made bridge in my manmade car driving along a manmade highway and not even think about how much more difficult it would have been to do ministry on foot!

How does this help us put our lives into perspective?  Do we as modern western Christians have any reason to complain?  Are there difficulties we do face in ministry because of human advancement that Paul would not have needed to face?

Third Thought:

Let’s not forget Paul’s opening in all of this, though.  Paul reminds the Corinthians that he is still speaking in terms of foolishness.  None of these things actually matter.  One cannot say that God loves them more – or they love God more – than another just because you’ve been beaten more times or gone without food for longer periods of time.  One cannot say God loves you more because you’ve been in more prisons because of your faith.  These are human arguments used for human logic.  Paul lists them here not to demonstrate that he is better than the false apostles that have come to Corinth.  Paul lists them here simply to say that he has made sacrifices in order to bring glory to God’s name.  He lists these not to show that he is better.  He lists them here to show that he is willing.

Are you willing to suffer for Christ’s sake?  Are you willing to follow the example of Jesus Christ?


Passage for Tomorrow: 2 Corinthians 11:30-33

No comments: