Monday, May 19, 2014

John 15:6-11

John 15:6-11
If anyone should not remain in me, he was being cast out as a branch and was being dried up and these are being gathered together and they are thrown into the fire and they are being burned.  Should you all remain in me and should my words remain in you all, then whatever you all should desire you all asked and it will become to you all.  In this my Father was being glorified in order that you all should carry much fruit in order that you all should become my disciples.  Just as the Father loved me, I also loved you all.  Remain in my love.  If you all should keep my commandments, you all will remain in my love – just as I have kept the commandments of my Father and I remain in His love.  I have said these things to you all in order that my joy should be in you all and the joy of you all should be made complete.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

In this passage we hear Jesus contrasting those who remain in Him and those who do not.  Of course there is the part that catches our attention.  If you don’t remain in Him you are cut off, dried, gathered together, and thrown into the fire.  But notice that Jesus is specific at what prevents this fate.  It is not our works and our greatness that prevents this fate.  What prevents this fate is that we remain in Him.  That which prevents being thrown into the fire is contact with Christ.  Let that last thought sink in for a while.

What does “contact with Christ” mean to you?  How do you remain in Him?

Second Thought:

Coming off of the previous questions, we arrive at just how works do fit into the equation.  We know that we are saved through Christ, not our works.  That was the point of verses 6-8.  But in verses 9-10 we begin to talk about works.  The works help us remain in Him.  Obeying the commandments of God demonstrates that we are remaining in Him.  Our works do not save us; they are the evidence – or response – to that salvation.  As we have been grafted into the vine of Christ, we can respond by doing His work so that we remain in His love.  Doing the will of God helps us keep proximity and contact with Christ.

How do you obey the commandments of the Father?  What are the commandments of the Father?

Third Thought:

In the last verse of this section, Jesus speaks about joy.  Here is the context of joy in which Jesus speaks: remaining in Him as He remains in the Father.  Our joy is to remain in Christ.  Our joy is to know God.  Our ultimate joy is to know the Father, experience His love, and be with Him.

Where is your joy located?  Are you satisfied merely with knowing God’s love?  Do you consider this being “complete?”


Passage for Tomorrow: John 15:12-17

No comments: