Thursday, May 8, 2014

John 12:44-50

John 12:44-50
And Jesus cried out and said, “The one who believes into me does not believe into me but into the one who sent me.  And the one who sees me sees the one who sent me.  I have come into the world as light in order that all the ones who believe into me should not remain in the darkness.  And if anyone should hear my words and he should not obey, I do not judge him.  For I did not come in order to judge the world but in order that I should save the world.  The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has one who judges him – that word which I spoke will judge him in the last day.  Since I did not speak out of myself, but the one who sent me – the Father Himself – gave a commandment to me: what I should say and what I should speak.  And I have known that His commandment is life eternal.  Therefore what I say, I speak just as the Father has said to me.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

Let’s make sure that we understand this section in its context.  According to John’s account of the story, these are Jesus’ last public words.  Jesus will teach more, but from this point on Jesus will only be teaching His disciples deeply in the night of the Lord’s Supper.  In this perspective, then, it is fitting to see that Jesus focuses on belief and obedience.  Jesus lays out the basic truth clearly for all to see.  Believe and obey or do not believe and obey.  Everyone has a fair opportunity to pick up sides and figure out where they stand.

Where do you stand?  Are you following Christ obediently or simply following Him in name and tongue only?

Second Thought:

Once more Jesus connects light and belief.  Or, perhaps more accurately, Jesus connects belief with the ability to be apart from darkness.  This is a profound concept for me.  If I believe, I should not be living in darkness.  Granted, I know I am a sinful human being so perfection is unattainable.  In fact, Jesus acknowledges as much.  Our default position is darkness.  But in the light of Christ we do not remain in darkness.  So generally speaking, if I believe then I should not be living in spiritual darkness.  I wonder how much of this is true with respect to Western Christianity. 

When you think of the Western Church, do you perceive a church that is transforming the world through the light of Christ?  Or is it a church still shackled by the darkness of the world?  What does your answer tell you?

Third Thought:

Publically speaking, Jesus goes out with a bang.  Jesus says, “I get my testimony from the Father.  What He tells me to say, I speak.  You can either listen to me or not listen to me.  But if you don’t listen to me, you aren’t listening to the Father, either.”  This is a huge statement – one that the Jewish leaders would have instinctually balked at.  Think about it.  If someone with whom you do not have a meaningful relationship came up to you and told you that they speak directly from God and you must obey them, how would you react?  Of course they balked at Him!  They had every opportunity at relationship and they did not put themselves in a place to listen.  At the end of His public ministry Jesus makes it clear where everyone stands.

Where do you stand with Christ?  Are you a follower?  Do you hear His word and obey?


Passage for Tomorrow: John 13:1-11

No comments: