Friday, April 11, 2014

John 8:48-59

John 8:48-59
The Jews answered and said to Him, “Do we not speak rightly that you are a Samaritan and you have a demon?”  Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon.  But I honor my Father and you all dishonor me.  And I do not seek my glory.  There is one who seeks and one who judges.  Amen, amen I say to you all, should anyone keep my word he should surely not experience the state of death into the age!”  Therefore the Jews said to Him, “Now we have known that you have a demon!  Abraham died – even the prophets!  And you say, ‘Should anyone keep my word he should surely not taste death into the age.’  You are surely not greater than our father Abraham, who died?  Even the prophets died!  Who do you make yourself?”  Jesus answered, “Should I glorify myself my glory is nothing.  My Father, whom you all say ‘He is our God,’ is the one who glorifies me.  And you all have not known Him, but I know Him.  And if I should say that I have not known Him, I will be a liar like you all.  But I do know Him and I keep His word.  Abraham your father rejoiced greatly in order that he should see my day.  He did see and he was being glad.  Therefore the Jews said to Him, “You do not yet have fifty years and you have seen Abraham?”  Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen I say to you all that before Abraham was known I am.”  Therefore they picked up stones in order that they should throw them upon Him.  But Jesus hid and He went out of the temple.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

Jesus speaks about glory throughout this passage.  Jesus makes two things very clear in His words.  He does not desire His own glory.  He does desire to bring glory to the Father.  It is such a simple message, but it is a message that many of us need in reminder.  Our task is to seek ways to glorify God rather than ourselves.  In turn, God sheds His glory upon us.

Whose glory do you seek?  Why is it hard to not want glory and recognition?

Second Thought:

Verse 51 has some really neat clarity in the Greek – clarity that doesn’t often make it into the English translations.  Most English translations read, “Should anyone keep my word he will never taste death.”  The English translations read this way in order to set up the next question of the Pharisees.  However, that means of translation leaves ambiguity as to why people who are truly following Jesus undergo death.  Of course we understand this verse to mean that people who obey Christ will live forever in eternity.  While our English Bibles aren’t translated this way, the Greek actually makes this clear.  In the Greek in verse 51 Jesus clearly says, “Should anyone keep my word he should surely not experience death into the age.”  The phrase “into the age” is a common phrase in John to mean “eternity.”  Clearly Jesus is not talking about death in this life; He is talking about death in the life to come!  In the Greek there is no confusion.  While we might experience death in this life – we will not experience it in eternity!

What does it mean for you to know that those who are in Christ will not experience death in eternity?  Why is that such a hopeful message?

Third Thought:

At the end of this passage we have a long debate about Abraham.  In the end, the Jewish people marvel because Jesus claims to know Abraham.  They cannot figure out how this thirty-something man could possibly know Abraham.  This sets up another “I am” statement from Jesus.  Remember that the simplest name of God is “I am.”  In other words, when questioned about knowing Abraham, Jesus says, “Before Abraham was known, I am God.”  Jesus takes this opportunity to declare His identity before the Jews.  They pick up stones to throw at Him.  In their mind, Jesus had just blasphemed.  In our mind, Jesus spoke the truth.

For the record, don’t forget that in John 8:30 we are told that within this crowd were many who were beginning to believe in Him.  How quickly people turn!

How would you respond to someone who proclaimed to be God?  How does this truly speak to our need to be open to what God is doing rather than focused on seeing the world through our own eyes?  How open are you to God’s ways?


Passage for Tomorrow: John 9:1-7

No comments: