Monday, April 21, 2014

John 10:22-30

John 10:22-30
At that time the Feast of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem.  It was winter.  And Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon.  Therefore the Jews encircled Him and they were saying to Him, “How long will you prevent us from reaching a conclusion?  If you are the Christ, say it to us openly.”  Jesus answered them, “I told you all and you all do not believe.  The works that I do in the name of my Father – these testify about me.  But you all do not believe because you all are not out of my sheep.  My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me.  And I give to them eternal life and they should never perish into the age and no one will snatch them out of my hand.  My Father, the one who has given to me, is greater than all and nobody is powerful enough to seize out of the Father’s hand.  I and the Father are one.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

I find it interesting that the Jews surround Jesus.  Jesus is in the temple.  He is completely in their territory.  So they come and surround Him and begin to make demands.  How often does the world look for opportunities to go in for the kill and then execute the plan?  The followers of God do not need to look for places to ambush one another.  This is purely a tactic of someone who is living according to the ways of the world.

When have you been ambushed?  How does that feel?  Have you ever ambushed someone else?  Why did you do it?  How does it make you feel to recognize such behavior in yourself?

Second Thought:

Here is the result of the tactics of the Jews.  Jesus tells them twice that they do not believe and then tops it off by saying that they are not a part of His flock of sheep.  There’s nothing like being told the truth by the Son of God!  Imagine for a second hearing those words and how you would react.  Jesus is being blunt.  If you aren’t following Jesus, you aren’t a part of His flock.  If you aren’t listening to Jesus, you aren’t a part of His flock.  If you come at Jesus in an antagonistic posture, you aren’t a part of His flock.

What would hearing these words do to you as a listener?  How would you react? 

Third Thought:

Jesus is clear to assert that nobody can wrest anything out of His grasp.  Now imagine being one of Jesus’ disciples and hear Jesus speak like this.  I can only imagine how Jesus’ disciples feel as they hear Jesus say that they are secure.  But not only are they secure in Christ’s grasp, they are secure in the grasp of the Father as well.  Now that’s a great place to be!

Are these words impressive to you?  How do you feel in hearing Jesus’ words?


Passage for Tomorrow: John 10:31-39

No comments: