Tuesday, April 8, 2014

John 8:25-30

John 8:25-30
Therefore they were saying to Him, “Who are you?”  And Jesus said to them, “That which I also say to you from the beginning.  I have many things to say and to judge regarding you all, but the one who sent me is true.  And that which I heard from Him I say these things into the world.  They did not know that He was speaking to them about the Father.  Therefore Jesus said to them, “When you all should lift up the Son of Man, then you all will know that I am.  And I do nothing from myself but I speak these things just as the Father taught me.  And the one who sent me is with me.  He did not leave me alone because I always do the things that are pleasing to Him.”  While He said these things many believed into Him.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

This section begins with a very intriguing question.  “Who is Jesus?”  Jesus gives us three answers in these verses.  The first answer is the Jesus came to declare the truth.  The Father taught Him, and He declares it to the world.  He made disciples who could continue declaring it to the world.  Jesus’ identity is a truth-teller who teaches others to likewise tell God’s truth.

What truth did Christ proclaim to the world?  What truth has Christ proclaimed to you?  Are you living out the truth that He gives to you?

Second Thought:

The second answer is that Jesus is the one who will be crucified.  He will be lifted up on a cross, and then they will know who He was.  Part of Jesus’ identity is that He came to be crucified.  He is the sacrifice for our sins.

What does it mean to you that Jesus came to die for your sin?  How do you live that out daily?  How does Jesus demonstrate God’s love to you by dying on the cross?

Third Thought:

The third answer is that Jesus is the one who does what the Father asks.  Jesus is a man of action indeed; but His action is always pleasing to the Father.  There is nothing that Jesus did that did not please the Father.  While we cannot be perfect as Christ was perfect, it is important for His disciples to realize that our lives should be about pleasing the Father and doing His will.

In what ways are you pleasing to the Father?  How can you know what is pleasing to the Father?


Passage for Tomorrow: John 8:31-38

No comments: