Saturday, March 15, 2014

John 5:30-38

John 5:30-38
I am not powerful enough to do anything from myself.  Just as I hear, I judge.  And my judgment is righteous because I do not seek my will but the will of the one who sent me.  If I should bear witness to myself, my witness is not true.  There is another witness about me, and I have known that the witness that he testifies about me is true.  You all have sent to John, and he has testified the truth.  And I do not receive the testimony from a man, but I say this in order that you all should be saved.  That one was a lamp having been lit to burn and while bringing light.  And you all desired to rejoice greatly for an hour in his light.  But I have a witness greater than John.  For the work that the Father has given to me in order that it should be brought to an end – the same work that I do - bears witness about me that the Father has sent me.  And that Father who sent me has testified about me.  You all have neither heard His voice at any time nor have you seen His outward appearance.  And you all do not have his word while remaining in you: that which that one sent you all do not believe. 

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

The word “witness” is significant within this passage and significant within the Gospel of John.  It is used 47 times in the Gospel alone.  As we look at witnesses, the first witness we see is John the Baptizer.  In fact, Jesus tells the Jewish leaders for a time that they were willing to bask in John’s light.  He was new, shiny, and seemed to be pointing to a Messiah that they believed would come.  But soon John started speaking words of truth – words that even challenged the religious leaders.  Once they were challenged, the religious leaders stopped listening to the witness of John.

Why are people prone to listen to that which they agree?  Why are people prone to stop listening when they encounter challenge?

Second Thought:

The second witness that Jesus speaks about is His own work.  The things that He does speak about the fact that He is doing the work of God.  Jesus heals people.  Jesus brings people back from the dead.  Jesus tells people who they are, not who they want the world to see.  Jesus reveals truth and true character and tears down the façades that we build up around ourselves.  The fact that Jesus is not testifying about His own greatness and His own glory but instead always doing the work of the Father is a witness to the fact that He came from the Father.

What evidence do you have in your life that Jesus is about the work of the Father?  How has Jesus affected you and your character?  If people were to evaluate your testimony in your life how much is about you and how much is about the work of God?

Third Thought:

Jesus then gets very personal with the Jewish leaders.  He tells them point blank that they have never heard the voice of God nor seen anything of His presence.  That’s a very bold proclamation, especially when you remember that in John 5:18 these same Jewish leaders sought out even more to try and kill Jesus!  Jesus looks at the very people who want to destroy Him and has what it takes to tell them the truth even though it will bring about His death even more quickly.  Jesus is concerned about people hearing truth, not saving His own life.

What is more important to you: truth or your own happiness?  What is more important to you: truth or what people think about you?


Passage for Tomorrow: John 5:39-47

No comments: