Sunday, December 15, 2013

Romans 7:21-25

Passage

Consequently, I find this law: by the thing in me that desires to do the good, that the evil is at hand by me.  For I delight in the Law of God according to my inner being.  But I recognize another law in my members while making war with the law of my mind and while making me captive in the law of sin that is in my members.  I am a wretched man!  Who will rescue me from this body of death?  But thanks be to God through our Lord Jesus Christ.  Therefore, consequently, I myself on one hand am enslaved to the Law of God by my mind but on the other hand am enslaved to the Law of sin by my flesh.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

Paul recognizes that even when we desire something good, evil is always close at hand.  Even when I set out to accomplish God’s will, it is so easy to become focused upon my glory, my righteousness, and my benefit.  It is so easy to start out in the right direction only to find that I’ve manipulated good things to my own selfish benefit.

Why is it so easy for us to make everything about ourselves?  Why is it easy for us to corrupt good things?

Second Thought:

Paul then says that there is a war within us.  We may delight in God in our hearts.  Yet our flesh delights in its own benefit.  This is war at its best.  Even when we delight in the will of God we find our bodies are still captive to sin.  This is our natural state.  We are caught between the God who calls us into righteousness and the sin that would like to anchor us here in this world.

Where do you feel the most caught between sin and the God?  How does it make you feel to again be reminded that we are at war within our flesh?

Third Thought:

Thanks be to God that He sent Jesus Christ to us!  Christ is the answer.  He is the conquering king.  He has overcome death for us.  He has overcome sin for us.  While we may be in the war zone, we know that those who are in Christ will ultimately see sin die within them.  We will be raised into a newness of life.  Thanks be to God.

How can this passage help you appreciate what God has done for you?  How can these verses fill you with the desire to worship the almighty God?


Passage for Tomorrow: Romans 8:1-4

No comments: