Friday, November 20, 2015

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
And may the same God of peace make you all entirely holy, and may your entire spirit and soul and body be kept blameless in the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The faithful one who calls you – He will also do this.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

Paul desires that the Thessalonians be made holy.  Paul wants them to be separate from the world.  But notice to whom Paul gives the credit.  God makes us holy.  God empowers us to be separate.  We don’t have what it takes within us.  But God does.  God makes us entirely holy.

How are you holy in life?  How does this separate you from the world?

Second Thought:

I often think about why it is that I still sin.  After all, I believe in a powerful God.  I believe in a God who can do anything.  I believe in a God who will bring us into eternal life where sin will exist no more.  So why do I still sin?  I sin because I will be blameless in the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.  I am not currently blameless.  But I will be blameless.  I will be remade blameless.  But that means that I am not now blameless.  I still have free will.  My flesh is still at war with God.  I long for the day when I will be made blameless.

What do you think it will be like to be made blameless?  Why do you think God allows us to have free will even now?

Third Thought:

The last point that Paul makes in this chapter is a little easy to miss.  The God who calls us is able to accomplish what He desires.  This is easy to miss because I think that we take it for granted.  How often do we take God’s omnipotence for granted?  Yet God is capable of accomplishing His desire.  Why would He call us if He cannot accomplish His will?  Of course He can accomplish His will.  The faithful one who calls us doesn’t call us into something that may happen.  He calls us into something that absolutely will happen.

Into what has God called you?  Do you believe God can do it?

Passage for Tomorrow: 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24


No comments: