Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Matthew 7:21-23

Matthew 7:21-23
Not all the ones who say to me, “Lord, Lord” will go into the kingdom of heaven – but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  Many will say to me in that day, “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by your name, cast out demons by your name, and do many powerful things?”  And then I will declare to them that, “I never did know you.  Depart from me, the ones who do lawlessness.”

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

This is one of the few passages of the Bible that always catches my attention.  I don’t think I will ever become accustomed to the challenge put forth in this passage.  We begin with a simple declaration on Jesus’ behalf.  Not everyone who says “Lord, lord” to Jesus will enter into the kingdom of heaven.  It’s a pretty clear message.  Lip service is cheap and easy.  Anyone can say that they love God.  Anyone can profess to want to go into eternal life.  In fact, I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t want to go into eternal happiness if given the opportunity!  But lip service is nothing more than that.  Anyone can form words upon the lips.

Have you ever been in a lip service relationship with God?  When are you most likely to speak words that you really don’t intend to act upon?

Second Thought:

The true test is whether the words are backed up by action.  The true test of character is whether or not we live out our words of promise.  If we love God, is it seen in our life?  If we declare that we desire to be like God, do we live like Jesus lived?  Notice what Jesus says here.  It isn’t the one who pays lip service to God that will enter into the kingdom of heaven but the one who does the will of the Father.  Jesus isn’t saying that we earn our way into heaven.  Jesus is saying that our response is proof that we aren’t just paying lip service to God.  When we are obedient to the Father, we are demonstrating that our words are not just empty words upon our lips.

How obedient are you to the Father?  Of the things you declare, how much of them do you live out in practice in your life?

Third Thought:

For the third thought, I’m going to talk about the excuses of the people.  People will declare that they will do things by Jesus’ name.  But here’s the interesting truth.  Just because a person uses Jesus’ name doesn’t mean that the person actually is in a relationship with Jesus.  Look at today’s culture!  How many people do you hear pronouncing Jesus Christ almost like slang or even as a curse?  How many people do you know who use the word “God” (as in, “Oh my God”) yet they don’t really have a relationship with Him?  The truth is that people can sling around God’s name whether they have a relationship with Him or not.  God’s name is powerful whenever it is used.  Just because I know God’s name doesn’t make me holy or righteous or in a relationship with Him.  As Jesus said earlier, what makes me in a relationship with Him is my obedience to Him.

Do you respect the name of God?  What is the basis for your relationship with God?  Why is it dangerous to base anything upon our works?


Passage for Tomorrow: Matthew 7:24-29

No comments: