Friday, February 21, 2014

John 1:29-34

John 1:29-34
The next day he sees Jesus while coming to him and he says, “Behold!  The lamb of God who lifts up and carries away the sin of the world.  This is the one about whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who became ahead of me because he was before me.’  And I had not known Him, but in order that he should be revealed to Israel because of this I came while baptizing in water.”  And John testified while saying, “I have observed the Spirit while descending as a dove out of heaven and it remained upon Him.  And I had not known Him, but the one who sent me to baptize in water – that one said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit while descending and while remaining upon Him – that one is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’  And I have seen and I have testified that this one is the Son of God.”

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

John tells us about Jesus from the very beginning.  Jesus – the Word of God – is the one who lifts up and carries away the sin of the world.  What an incredible identity!  However, there is a sincere truth here that we should pause and recognize.  Jesus Christ is the one who lifts up and carries away the sin of the world.  It is not even within my identity to lift up and carry away my sin.  I cannot save myself.  I cannot make myself sin-free.  I cannot do it, but fortunately Christ can and already has.  It is absolutely within His identity to lift up and carry away the sin of the world.  It is who He is.

How does it feel to know that Christ was sent for the purpose of removing your sin?  How does this truth live out in your life?

Second Thought:

The second thing that we can glean from this passage is that the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus.  However, John goes one step further.  It is Jesus that baptizes with the Holy Spirit.  Again, this is important for us to understand.  The Holy Spirit is proof of our salvation.  See Ephesians 1:13-14 or Romans 8:9.  But the Holy Spirit is not something that I can give to anyone.  It is Jesus who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.  When Jesus dwells with us, it is He who imparts the Holy Spirit within us.

Why is it important to understand that it is Christ and not me – or you – who imparts the Holy Spirit upon others?  What happens when we think we have the power to impart the Holy Spirit upon other people?

Third Thought:

What does John do when he spots Jesus?  He testifies about Him.  He tells the world about Jesus.  He points people to Jesus.  That is the call of the follower.  We are to point to Jesus and not to ourselves, our passions, our desires, our hobbies.  True followers point people to the thing that they are following.

To what do you point people?  What does this say about you?


Passage for Tomorrow: John 1:35-42

No comments: