Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Romans 3:8-10

Passage

Owe nothing to anyone except to love each other.  For the one who loves the other has fulfilled the Law.  For “You will not commit adultery, “You will not murder,” “You will not steal,” “You will not lust,” and if there be any other commandment they are being united together in these words: “You will love your neighbor as yourself.”  Love does not do evil to a neighbor; therefore love is a fulfillment of the Law.

Thoughts for Today

First Thought:

Paul now brings the topics of the last two days of study together in a single united sentence.  The only thing that we should owe to one another is our love.  As we heard yesterday, we should pay our taxes.  We should pay our debts.  We should give respect and honor where it is due.  The only thing that we truly cannot ever completely finish is loving one another.  After all, if God’s love has no end, then why should ours?

Do you have limits to your love?  If so, what are they?  Who around you has the ability to push those limits?

Second Thought:

Paul teaches us a similar lesson as Jesus teaches in Matthew 22:34-40.  All of the commandments of prohibition can be summed up simply by acting out of love.  If we are always acting genuinely with other people’s interests in mind, then we won’t break any commandments.  If I have my neighbor’s best interest in my mind, I won’t covet.  If I have my spouse’s best interest in mind, I won’t commit adultery.  If I have a store owner’s best interest in mind, I won’t steal.  If I orient myself to the world through the lens of love, then my actions will automatically fulfill the law.

How neat is it to think about acting through love as automatically fulfilling the Law?  Is it easier to try and remember a bunch of commandments or simply to remember to look towards the interests of others?  Why does this show the importance of having unconditional and limitless love?

Third Thought:

What this teaching also does is to reveal to us when it is that we stop loving.  When I put my agenda ahead of God’s agenda I cease to love.  When I put my needs ahead of the needs of the other person I cease to love.  It’s really that simple.  So love as I genuinely care about God and my neighbor, I won’t harm them.  But as soon as I care more about myself than about God or neighbor then all bets are off.  Love is inherently antagonistic to self-centeredness.

Would you agree with this statement?  When are you most concerned about your needs and wants?  Is it then that you are the least likely to show love?  How can you focus more on God and the needs of others instead of yourself?


Passage for Tomorrow: Romans 13:11-14

No comments: